Monday, September 14, 2009

Psalms Four

I found myself unable to sleep last night...having similar problems tonight. The problem is two-fold: first of all I am restless, because my body is used to having at least half an hour of vigorous exercise everyday and for the last two days it hasn't gotten that. Secondly, my mind will not shut off. I have worries, and its hard to give them up and continue on to rest on some days.

Last night, after trying prayer, reading, a hot bath and some push ups, I finally tried opening my Bible. I'm not a big proponent of random Bible searches, but I was so tired, and so I thumbed open to Psalms, figuring I was in a David kinda mood. By whatever impetus, I started to read Psalm 4. A few minutes later I was asleep, a smile on my face.

Directed to God:

Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress before
Have mercy on me now,
And hear my prayer.

Directed to his fellow man:

How long, O you sons of men,
Will you turn my glory to shame?
How long will you love worthlessness and seek falsehood?
But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly.

Directed to himself as a reminder:

The Lord will hear when I call to Him.
Be angry and do not sin.
Meditate within your heart on your bed and be still
Offer the sacrifices of righteousness
And put your trust in the Lord.
There are many who say, "Who will show us any good?"
Lord lift up the light of your countenance upon us.
You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine
increased.
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep

Directed in prayer to God:

For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin