Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wake Up World!

Although I detest the news, like all humans I love a morning routine. For weeks now I've been pouring my coffee, grabbing my laptop, settling into my favorite loveseat and firing up the Morning Cup of Links at the Mental Floss blog. Here I am pleased to say I find a tasty mix of art, social updates, weird history and just general good yet stimulating stuff. A few days ago, the links included one to Improv Everywhere's blog. This blog has definately been the highlight of my week. The purpose of Improv Everywhere is stated as;

Improv Everywhere causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places. Created in August of 2001 by Charlie Todd, Improv Everywhere has executed over 80 missionsinvolving thousands of undercover agents. The group is based in New York City.
I had seen their infamous Frozen Grand Central some time ago, but didn't realize they had a website and an ongoing plan to continue these sort of missions. Recently they have incorporated MP3 players into their plans, for even bigger and better executed missions.


What surprised me most was my reaction. By the time I had watched two mission videos I was sobbing. The reaction was similar to how I feel at classical music concerts, as if my solid wall of resistance is being broken down and pure joy is immerging...against my will for some reason.

I find myself to be somewhat out of sync with the world in general, lost in a sea of people who seem content to be like each other, to fit in, to go with the flow. I think these missions strike at that core feeling and give me hope. Hope that their is life on this planet. Hope that we can be jarred out of our automaton state. Hope that the world will awaken and we will all see each other for who we reall are; unique, perfect, blessed.

How about you? Is there anything that causes you to sob for joy? What would you say best wakes you up and helps you to feel alive and whole?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin